And I Quote…
“I’ve never heard the concepts of conflict, character and story explained so neatly and convincingly.”
Recent StoryCraft participant
“You have such a talent for catching the small details as well as the big picture.”
Picture book manuscript critique client.
“The best course I have taken in 81 years!”
“Exceptionally engaging, knowledgeable and inspiring.”
NEW Summer, 2020: WRITERS’ ZOOM ROOM
One-hour online one-on-one instruction and discussion.
Crafting your memoir | Writing effective scenes – for fiction and memoir
Developing an Idea | Writing for Children and YAs
Elements of Editing | Tricky, Slippery ‘Show vs. Tell’ | Writing From Life
Contact me to request other topics
- More information here.
Information, instruction, motivation.
In pre-COVID times, I presented workshops for groups of six to 30 participants
through community centres, conferences, writing groups, etc.
- Writer’s Zoom room online presentations: Reverse Outlining, Point of View, Developing Ideas, StoryCraft – June/July 2020
- Travel Writing – Tuesdays, Mar 3 – Apr 7, for Vancouver Island University Elder College
- Marketing Your Writing – a fundraiser for Literacy Central Vancouver Island Feb 2020
- Writing From Life for the Vancouver Island University Elder College, Parksville (fall 2019) and Nanaimo (winter 2020)
- Research Strategies for Fiction and Nonfiction – for the Federation of BC Writers Spring Festival, Nanaimo BC May 2-5 2019,
- Read from My Alphabet Life (a teen novel in verse) at Vancouver’s Twisted Poets Literary Salon
- Writing From Life: VIU Elder College at Parksville
- People Watching: Characterization and Point of View for Port Moody Library
- Using Desire to Fan the Flames of Fiction for SFU Southbank Writer’s Studio
- Reverse Outlining for Port Moody Writers
I can develop a specific workshop to meet your needs, or offer the following:
- Down the Rabbit Hole: Writing for children and teens
- Fundraising in General and Grantwriting in Particular
- Getting Started, Keeping Going: Motivation and craft skills for newer writers
- Story, Plot and Theme: Strategies for getting to the heart of fiction and narrative nonfiction
- Memoir – Your Story, Your Way
- Research for writers
- Reverse Outlining: A novel plotting tool
- To Market, To Market: Tools and strategies to help you find the right home for your writing
- The View From Here: Getting a grip on point of view
- Words at Work: Effective writing skills for small business and non profits
- Voice Lessons: Developing a distinctive voice in your fiction
- Writing From Life: Using your own life experiences as ‘fodder’ for fiction, poetry and nonfiction
Previous clients include: Vancouver Island University Elder College, York House School, Surrey School District 36, Simon Fraser University Southbank program; Surrey International Writers’ Conference; New West Lit Fest; Royal City Literary Society; University of BC Creative Writing Program; Mission Writers and Readers Festival…