I present workshops for groups of six to 30 (sometimes more) participants
through community centres, conferences, writing groups, etc.
Contact me if you’d like a presentation customized for your writing group or business.
Here’s where I post links to a few handouts used in recent and current workshops, classes and presentations.
- Vancouver Island University Elder College – Writing From Life course Jan 2020
Lifeline Exercise: 2020 01 WFL Lifeline
- Natalie Goldberg Writing Practise Rules
A great way to get words on the page. I’ve used it as a way to get started on a new idea, ‘pin the butterfly’ of a germ to the page for later exploration, or revision something that hasn’t worked in an earlier version. 2020 01 NG WP
- Write Your Life – a 6-part session for the Vancouver Island University Elder College, Wednesdays, Jan 14 – Feb 18, 2020. Check for registration info.
- Marketing Your Writing – Saturday February 22, 1pm – 4pm. Literacy Central Vancouver Island. Register:(250) 754-8988. $10.00 Details here: https://www.literacycentralvi.org/view.php?c=about&d=marketing
- Travel Writing – Tuesdays, Mar 3 – Apr 7, for Vancouver Island University Elder College – Nanaimo Campus
- Write Your Life for the Vancouver Island University Elder College, Parksville, BC
- Research Strategies for Fiction and Nonfiction – for the Federation of BC Writers Spring Festival, Nanaimo BC May 2-5 2019,
- Read from My Alphabet Life (a teen novel in verse) at Vancouver’s Twisted Poets Literary Salon
- Writing From Life: VIU Elder College at Parksville
- People Watching: Characterization and Point of View for Port Moody Library
- Using Desire to Fan the Flames of Fiction for SFU Southbank Writer’s Studio
- Reverse Outlining for Port Moody Writers
I can develop a specific workshop to meet your needs, or offer the following:
- Down the Rabbit Hole: Writing for children and teens
- Fundraising in General and Grantwriting in Particular
- Getting Started, Keeping Going: Motivation and craft skills for newer writers
- Story, Plot and Theme: Strategies for getting to the heart of fiction and narrative nonfiction
- Memoir – Your Story, Your Way
- Research for writers
- Reverse Outlining: A novel plotting tool
- To Market, To Market: Tools and strategies to help you find the right home for your writing
- The View From Here: Getting a grip on point of view
- Words at Work: Effective writing skills for small business and non profits
- Voice Lessons: Developing a distinctive voice in your fiction
- Writing From Life: Using your own life experiences as ‘fodder’ for fiction, poetry and nonfiction
My rates range from $150 – $600 per session depending on venue, number of participants, organization, travel time and other factors.
I also offer one-on-one mentoring to help individual writers develop their projects and skills.
$35 per hour | minimum two sessions.Contact me or e-mail email@example.com to discuss your needs – I am sure we can come up with something that works for us all.
Previous clients include: Vancouver Island University Elder College, Simon Fraser University Southbank program; Surrey International Writers’ Conference; New West Lit Fest; Royal City Literary Society; University of BC Creative Writing Program; Mission Writers and Readers Festival…