And I Quote recent students from Writing From Life
“The best course I have taken in 81 years!”
“Exceptionally engaging, knowledgeable and inspiring.”
“I have written much more in the past six weeks than in the past six years.”
Coming June/July 2020
Writers’ ZOOM Room
Four online presentations for new, emerging and experience writers
writing for adults or younger readers
‘Instruction, interaction and motivation.’
All presentations are by voluntary donation,
paid via eTransfer or real money in the mail after the presentation.
( 50% of proceeds to the Nanaimo Unitarian Shelter).
THREE: The View from Here: The Pleasures and Perils of Point of View
How you manage point of view can make or break your fiction.
Tuesday, June 30, 2-3:30 pm.
FOUR: Story Craft- considering plot and theme and (almost) everything else
Tuesday, July 21, 2-3:30 pm.
PRIOR PRESENTATIONS IN THIS SERIES
Reverse Outlining: A novel approach to revising long fiction – and even memoir
How to Breathe Life into Your Ideas
For more information, contact Lois Peterson.
I present workshops for groups of six to 30 participants
through community centres, conferences, writing groups, etc.
Contact me if you’d like a presentation customized for your writing group or business.
Here’s where I post links to a few handouts used in recent and current workshops, classes and presentations.
- Vancouver Island University Elder College – Writing From Life course Jan 2020
Lifeline Exercise: 2020 01 WFL Lifeline
- Natalie Goldberg Writing Practise Rules
A great way to get words on the page. I’ve used it as a way to get started on a new idea, ‘pin the butterfly’ of a germ to the page for later exploration, or revision something that hasn’t worked in an earlier version. 2020 01 NG WP
- Travel Writing – Tuesdays, Mar 3 – Apr 7, for Vancouver Island University Elder College – Nanaimo Campus
- Marketing Your Writing – a fundraiser for Literacy Central Vancouver Island Feb 2020
- Writing From Life for the Vancouver Island University Elder College, Parksville (fall 2019) and Nanaimo (winter 2020)
- Research Strategies for Fiction and Nonfiction – for the Federation of BC Writers Spring Festival, Nanaimo BC May 2-5 2019,
- Read from My Alphabet Life (a teen novel in verse) at Vancouver’s Twisted Poets Literary Salon
- Writing From Life: VIU Elder College at Parksville
- People Watching: Characterization and Point of View for Port Moody Library
- Using Desire to Fan the Flames of Fiction for SFU Southbank Writer’s Studio
- Reverse Outlining for Port Moody Writers
I can develop a specific workshop to meet your needs, or offer the following:
- Down the Rabbit Hole: Writing for children and teens
- Fundraising in General and Grantwriting in Particular
- Getting Started, Keeping Going: Motivation and craft skills for newer writers
- Story, Plot and Theme: Strategies for getting to the heart of fiction and narrative nonfiction
- Memoir – Your Story, Your Way
- Research for writers
- Reverse Outlining: A novel plotting tool
- To Market, To Market: Tools and strategies to help you find the right home for your writing
- The View From Here: Getting a grip on point of view
- Words at Work: Effective writing skills for small business and non profits
- Voice Lessons: Developing a distinctive voice in your fiction
- Writing From Life: Using your own life experiences as ‘fodder’ for fiction, poetry and nonfiction
Previous clients include: Vancouver Island University Elder College, York House School, Surrey School District 36, Simon Fraser University Southbank program; Surrey International Writers’ Conference; New West Lit Fest; Royal City Literary Society; University of BC Creative Writing Program; Mission Writers and Readers Festival…