I love to spend time with children of all ages, talking about my books, sharing insights into what makes a story and why they are so important in our lives, encouraging creativity and supporting literacy.
I am now booking author visits to talk about my midgrade nonfiction book SHELTER: HOMELESSNESS IN OUR COMMUNITY (Orca Book Publishers, Oct. 12 2021).
I expect many of these sessions to be online, but as soon as I am able, I will be back in libraries and classrooms. Contact me for information on format and cost of school presentations.
Monday, November 20: Vancouver Writer’s Festival ‘Writers in the Classroom’ presentation
to classes in Surrey and North Vancouver.
Friday, December 3: School visit to Seaview Elementary, Lantzville, BC
February 1 – 5: OLA Superconference, presenting during the week with Jen Sookfong-Lee
“Talking to Children About Tough Topics in the News”.
My popular presentations for elementary grades “To Begin at the Beginning” provides:
- an overview of my development as a writer, from my beginnings as an avid listener to stories and books told by my parents and grandparents.
- the purpose and power of storytelling since ancient times.
- a told creation story – which I also use as a way to demonstrate the elements of a good story
- a quick survey of my books, where I got the ideas and how I developed them into novels
- other elements depending on the age of the audience and the size of the group.
Most presentations are 45 to 60 minutes long.
I am always happy to talk to host teachers and librarians to customize my presentations to reflect curriculum and class priorities.
Contact me or e-mail email@example.com to book a presentation or author reading.
Past presentations include: Forest of Reading (Ontario Library Association) and Toronto-area schools and libraries promotiong my three books (Meeting Miss 405, The Ballad of Knuckles McGraw, The Paper House) nominated for the Forest of Reading Award, various schools in Saskatchewan on tour for Canadian Children’s Book Week, Writer-in-Residence at York House School and Surrey Schools, Word on the Street Vancouver, Reading Link Challenge schools (BC Fraser Valley), Cowichan Book Splash … and many individual schools in the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley of British Columbia, and in Hampshire, UK.