I love to spend time with children of all ages, talking about my books, sharing insights into what makes a story and why they are so important in our lives, encouraging creativity and supporting literacy.
My most popular presentation “To Begin at the Beginning” provides:
- an overview of my development as a writer, from my beginnings as an avid listener to stories and books told by my parents and grandparents.
- the purpose and power of storytelling since ancient times.
- a told creation story – which I also use as a way to demonstrate the elements of a good story
- a quick survey of my books, where I got the ideas and how I developed them into novels
- other elements depending on the age of the audience and the size of the group.
Most presentations are 45 to 60 minutes long.
I am always happy to talk to host teachers and librarians to customize my presentations to reflect curriculum and class priorities.
Past presentations include: Forest of Reading (Ontario Library Association) and Toronto-area schools and libraries, various schools in Saskatchewan on tour for Canadian Children’s Book Week, Writer-in-Residence at York House School and Surrey Schools, Word on the Street Vancouver, Reading Link Challenge schools (BC), Cowichan Book Splash …