It was Louisa May Alcott who said,
“She is too fond of books. And it has turned her brain.”
I am. And it has.
The basic stuff
I am a British-born children’s author and writing instructor living in Nanaimo, British Columbia.
I worked for more than 40 years in public libraries, then retired in 2020 after two and-a-half years running a homeless shelter.
Before starting to write for children, I wrote and published more than 50 short stories, articles and personal opinion pieces, as well as writing and editing organizations’ newsletters and other marketing materials.
I am a member of The Children’s Writers and Illustrators of BC (CWILL BC), The Writers Union of Canada, the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators and the Canadian Association of Childrens’ Authors, Illustrators and Performers.
In The Community
Some of the writing I do is in the field of communications and fundraising for community organizations. You’ll find more info about recent contracts and projects on my Community page.
Ten facts about me
- I will do anything for chocolate. Anything. Really. (Preferably dark and plain, but in a pinch any chocolate is better than none.)
- I ran away from boarding school in my blue housecoat when I was nine.
- My favourite place on earth is the Sinai desert. If God is anywhere, I believe s/he lives on the top of Mt. Sinai where sunrise is the most stunning sight in the world.
- I travel as often as I can. Almost anywhere. (The picture above is me is Jaipur, India)
- I once undertook a solo hike of England’s 108-mile South Downs Way.
- My biggest fear is of belly buttons unravelling. Mine. Anyone’s. Honestly. I keep thinking I’ll grow out of it, but I haven’t yet.
- I love silence.
- I have more bowls than anyone could every use in a lifetime. I don’t know why, but something about them pleases me immeasurably.
- My first and only dog was a yellow lab called Sophie.
- I don’t lend money. Ever. To anyone. But if I can afford to give you some, you can keep it.
- The most important things to me in my life are friends and family, being in nature, music, travel, and reading and writing.
- I love chocolate… just in case you missed it the first time.